Are you out of school yet? Or is the last day just around the corner? Did you JUSTstarted thinking about getting a summer job? Perhaps your parents are pressuring you? You know you’d like one but the IDEA of finding one just seems too overwhelming? And isn’t it too late now anyway?
Kick summer job anxiety out the door with this fast track, manageable plan to finding a summer job fast. You aren’t the only one who’s put off looking. But you can be one of the ones who gets up off the coach and finds one. Ready?
- Take a piece of paper and block out 7 squares. One each for the next 7 days. (Think: There was a reason your middle school teachers kept harping on using a planner.)
- On each day you are going to write 3 action steps you will take to find a summer job. 3 sounds pretty easy, right? That’s the point. Taking tiny bites out of a big project makes it easier to tackle. (Think: The tortoise and the hare… slow and steady wins the race.)
- Adjust your expectations. Don’t expect to find your dream job, so be open to finding anything. This doesn’t mean you have to TAKE anything. Just keep your horizons open and more opporutunity will find you. (Think: The less you say “no,” the more opportunity there will be to say “yes!”
- Brainstorm a list of things you can do to find a job. Be creative. Ask a friend (or your ADHD coach) to help you. Be open to any idea. Below are a list of wild, and not so wild, ideas to try. (Think: shameless self promotion.)
- Do it!
- Important: Don’t do anything else for the day UNTIL you have done your 3 things. And, yeah, DON’T GIVE UP! Kkeep making up new charts for each week until you get a job.